Welcome to the news section of the site. I aim to update this page as often as possible as soon as relevant information becomes available to me. So, please send your snippets of Masterton-related news this way. I will also consider using reviews of the author's books written by the fans, as well as photographs that you think Graham's fans might wish to see. These might include photos taken with the man himself, pictures of your bookshelves, articles you've written or any other miscellaneous items you think this site might benefit from displaying. Please contact me with your proposals. I look forward to your contributions.
- From Graham: 'Katie Maguire (White Bones) is being published by Bragelonne in French in October. It will be promoted at the Lire En Poche Festival in Bordeaux on October 11, along with my French backlist. I shall be attending the festival myself where the sampling of fine wine is apparently compulsory!'
- From Graham: 'I have just been sent some pictures from my talk and signing at the Art Hotel in Wroclaw last month.
'Also, a thank you message made out of all the books that I have had published in Poland (although the reader did say that he had about 10 left over!).' (NB: Click on image to make full size).
- White Bones, the first Katie Maguire thriller is available in Kobo's Fierce Female Sale from 09/08/2018 - 15/08/2018.
- The following Katie Maguire books are available at special promotional prices during the month of August so make sure you grab yours now! Appropriately for crime thrillers, they're a steal!
Taken For Dead - Amazon UK Great Savings Deal from 01/08/2018 - 01/09/2018
Buried - Amazon Kindle Monthly Deal from 01/08/2018 - 01/09/2018
Blood Sisters; Broken Angels; Buried; Dead Girls Dancing; Living Death; Red Light; and White Bones - Head of Zeus Crime and Thriller Promotion on Kobo US from 08/08/18 - 15/08/18.
- From Graham: 'My friends Ola and Adam work for Centrum Dzwoni which is an employment agency for people in Poland with intellectual disabilities. Now there is a new move to find work for such people in the normal labour market - "Normally Working". I am giving it my full support.
'This is its Facebook page.'
- The paperback edition of Dead Men Whistling (Katie Maguire #9) is available for preorder on Amazon at £7.99.
- A short video of Graham's visit to Czernica last month. 'I had an unbelievably warm welcome!' says Graham.
- This interview appears in this month's newsletter of the Horror Writers Association.
- From Graham: 'This is my meeting at the children's home in Strzelin in Poland. The children were great and welcomed me with a song about smiling no matter what life throws at you. As well as cake! I told them a scary story about Baba Yagar the Polish witch who lives in a house that has legs like a chicken and sharp teeth in the keyhole.
'And here are some pictures from their day out rafting which was paid for by the generous donation for the print-out of Ghost Virus. The children will be able to have another outing soon from the donation made for the portrait of me done by a Polish prison inmate.'
- Here is the winning story for the 2018 Graham Masterton Written In Prison Award. The winner is Mateusz Szura with his story 'A Return To Normal'.
- Some more pics from Graham's recent Polish visit:
'Picture 1: A visit to Czernica, welcomed by the mayor. One reader had driven all the way from the Netherlands.'
Picture 2: 'After I had visited the orphanage in Strzelin I was entertained for a really delicious lunch by the mayor, Dorota Pawnuk.'
'Picture 3: 'Among other great gifts I was given a cake which was iced with a picture of Stzrelin on it. Dorota is a sweetheart!'
- From Graham:'On Thursday morning July 19 in Wolow Prison in Poland I presented the plaque to the winner of the Graham Masterton Written In Prison Award 2018, as well as certificates and prizes to the 10 runners-up.
'The winner received a TV set and all the ten runners-up received DVD players and headphones. Forty Polish prisons took part in the contest but logistical and staffing problems meant that only two winners could actually come to Wolow to collect their certificates and prizes.
'Next year, though, we are hoping that we can arrange for more. Every one of the 105 entrants received a personal letter of thanks from me and a souvenir pen.
'My thanks to the Warden Robert Kuchera for his enthusiasm and support, and to Marcin Dymalskiof the Wrovlaw Agglomeration for his untiring efforts in organising the award, and certainly not forgetting my lovely translator Kasia Janusik who not only translates all the stories for me but accompanies me to all the meetings at the prison and at surrounding libraries to translate my endless talks about writing as well as my terrible Irish jokes.
'I haven't yet had any luck in persuading her to talk Polish in a Cork accent ... we always collapse in uncontrollable laughter ... but wait till next year!
'This is the plaque that was awarded to the winner and a report on the prizegiving from Radio Wroclaw.'
- From Graham: 'A convict in a Polish prison has done this drawing of me so that I can auction it on behalf of the children in the orphanage which I support in Strzelin.
It measures 35x50cm and is framed. I will personally sign it for the highest bidder.
'If readers are interested in this highly unusual souvenir please send their offers to email@example.com. I will keep them continuously updated on the bids.
'Bids can be in any currency. The starting bid is £20 = US $26 = €22 = 97 PLN.'
- White Bones, the first Katie Maguire thriller has been selected for the US Kobo 'Summer Thrills' promotion between July 12-16.
- From Graham: 'The Graham Masterton Written In Prison Award is getting a lot of media attention when I go to Wolow Prison next week to present the prizes. The Polish prison
authorities are so pleased with the contest that they are going to be awarding a TV set to the winner.
'The 10 runners-up will all get DVD players, plus certificates.
'This is a feature from this week's Gazeta Wyborcza which is the most influential newspaper in Poland. I'm afraid you have to subscribe to read the whole article but I will be able to post it later when I get a copy of the paper!'
- From Graham: 'Ghost Virus will be published in French by Livr'S later this year. They are a young and very energetic publishing company and I am delighted that they are bringing out my first new horror novel in France and Belgium for almost a decade.
'My horror backlist in France is still published by Bragelonne, who will also be publishing the Katie Maguire series of crime thrillers this year.'
- Graham has just been sent the new cover for Infekcja (Plague of the Manitou) which completes the new series of Manitou books published by Albatros in Poland:
- The third Katie Maguire thriller, Red Light is featured in the ANZ Amazon Winter Sale promotion, running from 05/07/2018 to 01/09/2018.
- The tenth Katie Maguire thriller, Begging To Die will be out from Head of Zeus on February 4, 2019. It can be pre-ordered now from Amazon.
Rough sleepers are being found dead in the streets of Cork, and Detective Superintendent Katie Maguire has an almost impossible task tracking down their killer.
- From Graham: 'The Polish website Ship of Fools is running a contest for their followers to submit questions for mem to answer. The three best (or possibly the nuttiest) questions will receive a signed book.'
- Graham will giving a writing class at Wroclaw University on July 20, and asking the students to submit a short story with a modest prize for the winner.
- From Graham: 'To coincide with the World Cup in Russia (or perhaps to take attention away from it) the Russian horror magazine Darker has just published my erotic horror story "Sex Object".'
- A website exclusive from Graham: 'With a new generation of Masterton horror novels on the way, starting with Ghost Virus, I have rejoined the Horror Writers Association after a lapse of some years.
'This will help me to promote and publicise my new horror novels. After Ghost Virus, I am already working on a new adventure for Detective Constable Jerry Pardoe and Detective Sergeant Jamila Patel. I don't have a title yet, but it will be very up-to-date and will be designed to make you lose your lunch while hiding in a cupboard.'
- Albatros in Poland are working towards bringing out matching editions of all the Manitou books. This is the fifth: Armagedon (Blind Panic) which will be published on July 11.
- From Graham: 'I have just been sent the times and locations of my visit to Wroclaw in July. There will also be some promotional Facebook links with more details later.':
July 17, 7:00 p.m. - WROCŁAW, Art Hotel, ul. Kiełbaśnicza 20
July 18, 5:00 p.m. - MIĘDZYBÓRZ, Biblioteka Publiczna Miasta i Gminy, ul. Wrocławska 8
July 19, 5:30 p.m. - WOŁÓW, Miejska i Gminna Biblioteka Publiczna, ul. Gen. Wł. Sikorskiego 8
July 20, 7:00 p.m. - CZERNICA, Gminna Biblioteka Publiczna, ul. Wojska Polskiego 9
- From Graham: 'I have now read all the stories entered for the Graham Masterton Written In Prison Award 2018. It is going to be very difficult to select the 10 winners because they are all extremely unusual and moving. Some of them are enough to give you an emotional lump in the throat because they are so obviously based on real and harrowing experience. The presentation of prizes and certificates will be in Wolow in July.'
- Graham's novel, Railroad is currently on offer for 99p in Amazon's Kindle Monthly Deals.
- The first four books in the Manitou series ...
The Manitou, The Revenge of the Manitou, Burial and Manitou Blood have been published in matching editions by Albatros in Poland.
- The Polish edition of the new Katie Maguire thriller Dead Girls Dancing coming from Albatros Wydawnictwo.
- From Graham: 'A few pictures from my visit to the Pyrkon Fantasy Festival in Poznan. With some cosplayers ... a rather attractive fantasy warrior ... and with Gosia who was my guide and Olga.'
1) Some cosplayers
2) A rather attractive fantasy warrior
3) Gosia my guide and her friend Olga
4) My new minder ... Marek from the Poznan Policja
- From Graham: 'I had a very successful tour of Poland between May 16 - 20, visiting Gdansk, Szczecin, Poznan and Warsaw.
'In Gdansk and Szczecin I talked to audiences at Empik bookstores and in Poznan I gave talks and signed books at the annual Pyrkon fantasy festival ... which had an attendance of over 45,000 people, many of whom were in cosplay costumes, such as fairies and monsters and Star Wars characters.
'On Sunday I went to the Warsaw Book Fair and spent 5 hours signing books for my publishers Albatros and Rebis.
'I was very flattered by a professor from Warsaw University who said that since 1989 my horror novels and thrillers and books on sex had had an enormous influence on the post-Communist development of Poland ... both in terms of literature and also socially, in terms of human relationships.
(1) Two readers ... one not quite born yet! Her T-shirt says "Little Masterton Reader Inside!"
(2) Another devoted reader ... Kinga Kunbicz-Butler
(3) My lovely publisher at Albatros books, Ola Saluga
(4) ...and my adorable publicist at Albatros, Agata Wisniewska.
(5) The new Polish edition of Charnel House.
'As you can see, there are some benefits sometimes to being an author!'
- From Graham: 'The Sleepless (which was first published in 1993, twenty-five years ago!) has come 4th in the Vincent Price Awards 2017. It is an annual presentation in Germany for the best horror fiction. In Germany it is published as Die Schlaflosen by my friends at Festa Verlag.'
- Here is Graham's schedule for the Apostrof and Pyrkon Festivals and Warsaw Book Fair:
18:00 - Meeting with readers at Empik Galeria Baltycka, Gdansk
18:00 - Meeting with readers at Empik Kaskada, Szczecin
Pyrkon Festival, Poznan
15:00 - Why Scare People/? talk in Sala Ziemi,
17:00 - Panel about Worldbuilding in Aula
Pyrkon Festival, Poznan
10:30 - Panel about Fear in Aula
16:30 - Panel about Archetypes (don't ask me!) in Literacka 1
18:00 - Q&A session in Literacka 2
19:00 - Autograph session in Literacka 2
Warsaw Book Fair, National Stadium
12:00 - Meeting with readers, Crime Zone
13:00 - 14:00 - Book signing at Albatros stand
14:30 - Book signing at Rebis stand
- From Graham: 'My publishers Head of Zeus have been on a Masterton Mission and have refreshed even more of my ebook covers so that you can have the ebook equivalent of a box set!'
- This is a poster for Graham's visit to Wolow in Poland in July to present the prizes for the Graham Masterton Written In Prison Award 2018:
- Head of Zeus have redesigned all of Graham's backlist covers to match Ghost Virus. To view the covers, click here.
- The spooky Sissy Sawyer thriller The Red Hotel is now available from Severn House publishers in large print ... so you don't need your spectacles to get scared!
- From Graham: 'The Metal Chapters is an experimental anthology of horror stories which was launched at the Fantasmagoria Festival which I attended in Thessaloniki in Greece. Every story is accompanied by an original heavy metal song.
'My story in The Metal Chapters was "Ex Voto", about a businessmen visiting Mexico who tempts fate and comes to rather a sticky end. This is the song that goes with it':
- Scarlet Widow is now available from Amazon Kindle at only £0.99 during their May Madness sale - until June 1. Dead Girls Dancing and Blood Sisters are available for the same price for the May Bank Holiday deal.
- Here's a review of Ghost Virus from Ginger Nuts of Horror, plus a new interview about it.
And this is a banner for the release of Ghost Virus as an ebook on May 1. Click on the image to preorder:
- From Graham: 'I had a great time at the Fantasmagoria Festival in Thessaloniki over the weekend. I signed hundreds of books, met hundreds of very enthusiastic Greek readers and gave a talk on writing to an audience of about 300.
'Afterwards went out for some tasty Greek street food, sitting outside in the main street and discussing horror!
'Picture 1: me with the Greek writer Evangelia Papanikou (but the books she's holding are Katie Maguire in Greek!)
'Picture 2: me with Sotiria Ioannidou, who was just written her first fantasy novel, A Fly's Fairy Tale.
'Picture 3: me with the instigators and publishers of The Metal Chapters, an anthology of horror and fantasy stories that comes with a heavy metal CD with a track to back each chapter. I have a story in it ... "Ex Voto", about a man who has to decide whether or not to cut off his own arm.'
- Listen to an hour-long radio blog interview with Graham, Tamara Thorne and Alistair Cross in California.
- From Graham: 'Now in its second year, the Graham Masterton Written In Prison Award in Poland has attracted 104 entries from inmates in correctional institutions all around Poland. I will be going to Wroclaw in the second week of July to present prizes and certificates to the winners at Wolow Prison, as well as visiting several towns and villages in Lower Silesia.
'My heartfelt thanks to Marcin Dymalski and Iwona Bawolska, without whose generous help this award would not be possible.'
- From April 12-18, the new Katie Maguire thriller Dead Men Whistling is available on Kobo and Kindle for only £0.99p.
- Albatros are publishing Burial and Manitou Blood on May 11. This is a preview of the covers:
- Here's a review from The LineUp site of 8 of Graham's books.
- From Graham: 'To coincide with my visit to the Fantasmagoria Festival in Thessaloniki, Greece, on April 21, an anthology of short horror stories The Metal Chapters has been published including "Ex Voto" by me. Each story is accompanied by an original heavy metal song. This is the trailer and a video of my song will be shortly be available.'
- Amazon have made an error on their listing of the paperback edition of The Hell Candidate. They have said that it will not be published until February 22 2019. In fact it is available now and you can order it either from Amazon or direct from the publishers Telos.
- Graham is a featured writer in the April edition of Jeani Rector's monthly HorrorZine which features an excerpt from Graham's forthcoming horror novel, Ghost Virus.
- From Graham: 'After two interviews postponed by snowstorms, I finally made the Glasgow Herald on Sunday with a review of Dead Men Whistling.' Read the interview here.
- From Graham: 'The Katie Maguire series is becoming creepily predictive. After I had written about the fire in the dance studio in Dead Girls Dancing, a building not half a kilometre away beside the River Lee was also burned down. After I had written about a car submerged in the river with bodies in it in the short Katie story "The Drowned" a car was found on the riverbed with a dead man in it. Two weeks ago, in the new Katie novel that I am writing, I described a homeless man found dead in a doorway in Cork city. This is part of what I wrote:
"While Garda Brogan called for an ambulance and the Technical Bureau, Garda Cavey dragged the blanket completely off Gearoid and heaved him over on to his back. When she did that, an empty vodka bottle rolled away across the pavement. There was no question now that he was dead. His eyes were wide open but they had already turned dark and flat. His dry, cracked lips were parted, and the tip of his yellow-furred tongue was sticking out as if he were showing the world for the very last time that he didn’t care what it did to him."
'This news item appeared this morning (March 19) in the Irish Examiner:
MAN DIED IN DOORWAY AFTER SLEEPING ROUGH
Monday, March 19, 2018
By Joe Leogue
Gardaí in Cork City are investigating the death of a man, who was believed to be homeless, whose body was found in the early hours of yesterday morning. The man, who was in his fifties, was pronounced dead where he was found.
While he has yet to be named, and it is not yet clear whether he was homeless, it is understood that the man was sleeping rough at the doorway in which he was found. His body was taken to Cork University Hospital, where an autopsy was due to take place.
Although investigations are ongoing, it is understood that the cause of death is not being treated as suspicious at present.'
- The third and fourth novels in the Manitou saga (Burial and Manitou Blood) will be published in Polish in May by Albatros in editions to match the first two (The Manitou and The Revenge of the Manitou).
Ghost Virus will also be published in May by Rebis to coincide with Graham's visit to the Pyrkon festival in Poznan. The Polish title will be simply Wirus.
- From Graham: 'French stop press: I shall be attending the Lire en Poche Festival in the town of Gradignan in Bordeaux from October 12- 14. This is a celebration of paperback books and attracts up to 25,000 people annually. This is an important visit for me because I will be able to celebrate the revival of my French publishing career with new books from Bragelonne. I also understand there might be some wine available.'
- Graham's new horror novel Ghost Virus is being published early as an e-book on Amazon Kindle. Publication date is May 1 but it is already available for pre-order. The hardback edition will be published to coincide with Halloween.
- Click here to read an article in Sud Presse in France about Frederic Livyns winning the Prix Masterton for the third time.
- New (French) interview for Le Soir added to Interviews page.
- The winners of the 18th Prix Graham Masterton for French-language and French-translated horror novels and stories have been announced by the organiser Marc Bailly:
Jean-Pierre Favard for La Nuit de la Vouivre (best French-language novel)
Lars Kepler for Playground (best translated novel)
Frederic Livyns for The Dark Gates of Terror (best short story)
The laureates received a demonic statuette which is rather aptly called Le Prix Graham Masterton.
- The following Graham Masterton books have been selected by Kobo for their 'March Madness' promotion from March 1 - 31.
Dead Girls Dancing, Death Mask, Prey, Red Light, Spirit, Taken For Dead and The Chosen Child.
- From Graham: 'A picture from the Foire Du Livre in Brussels ... one of the reasons why it's such a hard and thankless task being an author....'
- From Graham: 'A couple of pictures from my visit to the Foire Du Livre in Brussels on February 23-25. Me with the horror author Frederic Livyns who won the Prix Masterton, and me with one of the attractive girls who tend to appear at book festivals.'
- Albatros Publishers in Warsaw are publishing new editions of The Manitou and Revenge of the Manitou on March 7.
- From Graham: 'An update on the Graham Masterton Written In Prison Award contest in Poland (Nagroda Grahama Mastertona 'W Wiezieniu Pisane') 2018. So far we have already received 22 entries and since we are expecting most of them in March this is very good news indeed. My thanks to Marcin Dymalski who runs the Polish side of this for me.'
- It's out at last ... Cemetery Dance's limited signed edition of Graham's story 'Cheeseboy'. It can be ordered as a signed limited edition hardcover here.
- From Graham: 'I sold the only printout of the new Katie Maguire novel DEAD MEN WHISTLING and sent the money to the children's home in Poland. It was enough to fund a day out for children from two orphanages: one from Strzelin and one from Ludow Polskie.
'The children had a great time visiting the Fun Park in Wroclaw. They particularly enjoyed the trampoline park (Jump World) as you can see from these pictures. Then they went to a Lego exhibition. Afterwards they had a meal at McDonald's (normally, I am assured, they don't eat like that every day!).
'The children were asked how they would like to spend the money,and they said that it was most important for them to enjoy time together outside the orphanages.
'My thanks to Agnieszka Tekiela the director and to Katarzyna Georgiou for her help.'
- Graham is Author of the Month at Kobo and the following titles are on special promotion:
Black Angel, Blood Sisters, Broken Angels, Buried, Dead Girls Dancing, Death Mask, Death Trance, Edgewise, Eye For An Eye, Living Death, Manitou Blood, Prey, Red Light, Revenge of the Manitou, Ritual, Scarlet Widow, Spirit, Taken For Dead, Tengu, The Chosen Child, The Coven, The Drowned, The Heirloom, The Sphinx, Unspeakable, Walkers, White Bones.
Red Light will also be included in the Kobo 'Lovers and Haters' promotion running between the 1st and 14th Feb.
- This is the cover for my Graham's new horror novel, Ghost Virus which will be published by Head of Zeus to coincide with Halloween.
- The Hell Candidate is now available for pre-order from Telos Books.
In Graham's words: 'I have heard that some bookshops are considering placing it on display next to Fire And Fury, the non-fiction account of the Trump White House.'
Read a short preview here
- This is the media release that has been sent out for the second Graham Masterton Written In Prison Award 2018.
The Polish has been translated by Google because my Geraham's Polish is not quite up to it!
The second edition of the nationwide literary competition for prisoners under the aegis of Graham Masterton has started. A well-known British author of horrors, thrillers and detective stories, just like last year, he will choose the winners himself, and in July he will fly to Poland to give them prizes personally.
The competition is the aftermath of the meeting with the prisoners of the Wołów Priory during the writer's visit to the Wrocław Agglomeration as part of the project Aggregated Agglomeration in 2016. Masterton was then not only impressed by the insight of the questions asked by the prisoners, but also by the fact that most of them were asked in English.
During the first edition of the competition, there were as many as 130 stories from prisoners of penitentiary institutions from all over Poland. The English writer is impressed by this number:
Already during my first visit to the Prison in Wołów, I realized that prisoners can gain a lot in both social and psychological terms if they get a chance to share their feelings with the outside world. The response to the first edition of the competition exceeded my wildest expectations - not only in terms of the number of stories submitted, but also the insight they gave in the personality of their authors. I hope that this year's competition will result in even more texts and that it will help their creators to deal with the deeds they have committed in the past and to start building a new, brighter future - says Masterton.
The deadline for entries to the competition is at the end of March 2018. After the pre-selection, the best stories will be translated into English and sent to the writer who will choose the winners - this time there will be ten of them! In July Masterton will fly to Poland to give them prizes in person. In the competition, however, there are no losers - just like a year ago, all participants will receive souvenirs and designed by the writer himself, pens and personalized letters with thanks.
The organizers of the competition, along with the writer, are: Association of Municipalities and Poviats of Wrocław Agglomeration, Penal Institution in Wołów, REBIS Publishing House, Albatros Publishing House and Municipal and Communal Public Library in Wołów.
Graham Masterton (right) during the solemn announcement of the results of the first edition of the competition. Next to Katarzyna Janusik, translator of works into English and Robert Kuczera, director of the Prison in Wołów.
- The Coven, the second Beatrice Scarlet thriller, is now available in audio CD format.
- From Graham 'Good review of Graham Masterton: Le Faiseur D'Histoire which is a VERY analytical assessment of my novels by Christophe Roussellier. It is published only in French so far but I am hoping for an English translation.'
Voilà un livre qui vous fera entrer à pieds joints dans le monde terrifiant de Graham Masterton. Vous découvrirez à travers cet ouvrage comment l'auteur s'amuse à détourner ou utiliser l'histoire pour mieux vous faire peur. A travers de nombreuses références et citations, Christophe Rousselier se révèle être un redoutable archéologue de la peur dont le seul but est de faire comprendre et mettre à jour les secrets de"fabrication" de Graham Masterton. Inutile de préciser la somme de travail pour réaliser un tel livre - j'ai presque envie de dire dictionnaire - qui inévitablement il devra trouver sa place dans la bibliothèque fantastique de votre salon. J'ajouterai en guise de conclusion que l'ensemble est parfaitement documenté, bien structuré, très facile à aborder, et vous donne une occasion unique d'aborder "Graham Masterton" non pas en tant que romancier d'épouvante mais comme un architecte au service de la peur. Passionnant tout simplement ...
This is a book that will take you to the terrifying world of Graham Masterton. You will discover through this book how the author likes to divert or use the story to better scare you. Through numerous references and quotes, Christophe Rousselier is a formidable archaeologist of fear whose sole purpose is to understand and update the secrets of "manufacturing" Graham Masterton. Needless to say the amount of work to make such a book - I almost want to say dictionary - which inevitably he will find his place in the library of your fantastic salon. I will conclude by saying that the whole is well documented, well structured, very easy to approach, and gives you a unique opportunity to approach "Graham Masterton" not as a horror novelist but as an architect at service of fear. Simply thrilling ...
- Cemetery Dance will be publishing Graham's chapbook Cheeseboy in a few weeks' time.
Here is a sneak look at the cover. Full publishing details as and when we get them.
- From Graham:'My favourite picture of 2017 ... me with Maura and Daithi on the Today Show in Cork to promote Dead Girls Dancing.
'My proudest picture of 2017 ... me presenting Anna Cader with her Graham Masterton Written In Prison Award at Wolow Prison.
'My most ridiculous picture of 2017 ... fighting with a shark several hundred miles inland at a fantasy festival near Wroclaw.'
From Graham. 'I have just been sent the TVP3 report of my presentation of the prizes for the Graham Masterton Written In Prison Award in Wolow Prison, with interviews with my publisher and two of the winning inmates.'
More publicity in this page from Poland's most popular book blog. The text is the same as the newspaper article in Gazeta Wyborcza.